05 June 2010

Could It Really Be All That Bad...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Shirt: H&M; Jeans: Levi 510 Super Skinny; Shoes: Zara; Sunglasses: Prada; Watch Ted Baker

Photobucket

Made a huge decision last week while I was home in DC. Decided that I, Ernest James Bannister Jr. will become a vegan! Yes, that's right...I said, V E G A N.

It all started when I was watching an old episode of Oprah when she had food author Michael Pollan on there and he talked about how genetically altered our food was. They even showed clips from the movie, Food Inc. and one farmer talked about how the chickens are fed hormones to make them grow faster and bigger in less amount of time. The chickens grow at such an alarming rate their bones and muscles can't keep up and they basically fall over and just lay there. Um, I'm cool on that note.

This is probably one of the biggest decisions I've ever made - next to moving to Florida from New York. It's definitely going to be a challenge as I love my cheese. But being a vegan is not a destination, it's a journey. And, thanks to Alicia Silverstone's best selling book, The Kind Diet, I don't have to do it alone. Alicia has been a vegan for quite some time and her book and website, The Kind Life, really help to dispel any misconceptions that you can never eat a good meal again as a vegan. I'm only on week 2 and I really don't think it's going to be that bad after all.

But please don't get me mistaking, I'm becoming vegan in the food sense, when it comes to vegan fashion - that's a whole nother thing. Baby steps people, baby steps...

No comments: